Islam

Islam

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Misconceptions regarding the meaning of 'Seal of the Prophets'

Image result for the meaning of 'Seal of the Prophets'

Question

I met someone who does not believe in the finality of prophethood. He told me that the word “seal” in the phrase “seal of the Prophets” does not mean that Muhammad is the last of the Prophets. Rather it means the best of the Prophets. I asked for references, and he cited the following: In one instance, the Prophet (peace be upon him) called his uncle `Abbâs “the seal of the emigrants.” [Kanz al-`Ummâl (6/178)] However, this does not mean that he was the last Muslim to emigrate from Mecca to Madinah. Similarly `Alî is called “the seal of the saints”. [Tafsir al-Sâfî (pertaining to verse 33:41)] Ibn Khaldun says this phrase is understood to mean that `Alî was a perfect saint and not that he was the last. [al-Muqaddimah (2/165-167)]

Answer

Allah says: “But (he is) the Messenger of Allah and the seal of the Prophets and Allah has full knowledge of all things.” [Sûrah al-Ahzâb: 40] 

There is unanimous consensus (ijmâ`khâtam al-anbiyâ’) means “the last of the Prophets”. Not a single scholar has ever interpreted this phrase to have any other meaning. 

It is not known in the Arabic language for the term “seal” to be used to mean “the best”. 

Moreover, the Prophet (peace be upon him) put an end to all arguments about the interpretation of its meaning when he said: “I am the last of the Prophets” “There is no Prophet after me.” “There shall be no prophethood after me.” and: “Indeed, prophethood and messengership have come to an end.” 

All of these statements are established with authentic chains of transmission and can be found in the major books of hadîth like Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim

For instance, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I am Muhammad, I am Ahmad. I am al-Mâhî; by me Allah eliminates disbelief. I am al-Hâshir; upon my foot people will gather in the day of Judgment. And I am al-`Aqîb; there is no Prophet after me.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “There will be thirty liars among my people, each one claiming to be a prophet while I am the last of the Prophets and there is no Prophet after me.” [Sahîh Muslim

As for the hadîth mentioned in your question about the Prophet (peace be upon him) calling al-`Abbâs “the seal of the emigrants” (khâtam al-muhâjirîn), it is a weak hadîth with a broken chain of transmission. It is not permissible for us to even assume that these are the words of the Prophet (peace be upon him), much less to attempt and derive conclusions from them. 

The second hadîth wherein `Alî is called “the seal of the saints” (khâtam al-awliyâ’), it is an outright fabrication and a lie. 

And Allah knows best.

-islamtoday.net

No comments:

Post a Comment