Islam

Islam

Monday 23 January 2017

Receiving pay for one's good deeds - and Allah's blessings as well

Image result for terima Ringgit Malaysia

Question

I am working as a web designer for a Qur'an website, and many visitors come to the website every day. Moreover, I am the one who records and publishes the Qur'an recitals. I also record the lectures and lessons of various scholars who come to the mosques in my country, and I render these as audio files and publish them on the Internet. Recently, some people are telling me that I have no right to receive a salary for my job, because my work is for an Islamic cause. They say that it is a shameful act for me to take money for a religious deed and that I will receive no blessings n the Hereafter for what I am doing. So I want to ask whether or not it is permissible in Islam to work professionally and for pay in an Islamic project. Website design is my job and I do not want to employ my skills to proote unlawful things. I want to promote good things with my skills. What should I do?

Answer

It is permissible to receive compensation for this work, just as it is permissible to receive compensation for teaching the Qur'ân. There is no prohibition in Islamic Law against doing so. 

The reward that you may receive from Allah depends on your intention. 

In case your intention is purely for Allah, but you accept compensation for your work in order to fulfill your needs or earn your livelihood, then this does not take away from the blessings of your work. By receiving pay for your work, you may devote more of your time to it instead of spending your time in earning a living doing something else. In this case, your reward will be to the extent of your sincerity to Allah. 

In case your financial needs are already covered by some other means and you do not really need any compensation for this work, but you accept it without requesting it or seeking it, then you will still be rewarded for your intention. 

If receiving monetary compensation is your sole purpose for your doing this work and something that you demand and look forward to, then you have the right to compensation and you are not sinful for taking it, but that compensation will be your reward. 

And Allah knows best.

-islamtoday.net

No comments:

Post a Comment