Islam

Islam

Sunday 11 September 2016

Neglecting Hajj to spend in charity



Question

This year, I registered to go with my wife and perform the Hajj. Ii paid nearly 80% of the cost. but I have a question. I have been looking at websites and speaking to my family overseas, and I realize that there are a lot of starving people over there. Should I still go to Hajj, or would it be better for me to give a very large lump sum of money in charity. This would mean that instead of my wife and I going to hajj paying almost 20,000 coming from North America, I will give the money to struggling families who need it for necessities like food, water, and education. 

I have never before performed the Hajj, but I feel very sad for these people. I already give some give charity and sponsor orphans, but these people may need it more. Maybe I can go to Hajj in the future if I am still alive.

Answer

If you have the means to perform Hajj, it is strongly advisable for you to do so as soon as you can. 

A person who does not have the means to perform the Hajj is not obligated to do so. If that person never acquires the means at any time in his or her life, then the person is exempt. 

Allah says: "And pilgrimage to the House is a duty unto Allah for mankind – those who are able to undertake the journey." [Sûrah Al `Imrân: 93] 

However, from the moment that you have the means and opportunity to offer the Hajj, then you become obligated to do so. This obligation will remain with you, even if your fortunes change in the future. If you refrain from doing so at present and find your financial circumstances strained in the future, the obligation will remain a debt upon your shoulders. 

Therefore, we recommend that you take this opportunity to offer Hajj, unless the pressing concerns of others are of an especially critical urgency. 

There are always extremely needy people in the world who are deserving of our charity. That will not change. This means that the money we have to undertake the Hajj can always find worthy recipients of charity instead. Nevertheless, Allah has prescribed the Hajj for "those who are able to undertake the journey". 

Your arguments are more than valid, however, for people who wish to make a second or third Hajj. It would be better for them to spend the money in charity, especially considering the crowding at Hajj. 

Ahmad b. Hanbal was once asked: "Is it better for a person to perform a voluntary Pilgrimage or cement tiers of kinship?" 

Ahmad replied: "If thosekinfolk are in need, I prefer that he cements the ties of kinship." [quoted by: Ibn Muflih, al-Furû` (2/497)] 

Ahmad also said: "One of you says 'I will perform the Pilgrimage. I'll perform the Pilgrimage.' But he has already done so! Rather, cement ties of kinship, or give charity to someone in dire need, or do some good for your neighbor. [Kitâb al-Zuhd

It is good that you have such an awareness about those who are poor and needy. You should rather sacrifice a few luxuries and expensive foods that you might be taking for granted and use that money to help the poor. Before eating at an expensive restaurant, think about those who are starving. It may seem like a small amount, but these small amounts add up. Just like you saved that large sum to undertake the Hajj, you can find means to increase your charitable giving and seek Allah's blessings. 

And Allah knows best.

-islamtoday.net

No comments:

Post a Comment